Sunday, August 5, 2012

A Very Merry UnBirthday Cake Swap

Finally I remembered to charge my camera battery so I could show pics of the beautiful cake I received from Kimberly for Creative Wings Boutique's Very Merry UnBirthday Cake Swap.  We both chose the "vintage dirty" color scheme. The box Kimberly sent has scalloped trim with vintage buttons, and don't you love that little banner?  The vintage millinery rose is beautiful, nestled atop a bed of organdy roses.  I would never have thought to paint and glitter one of those little pink plastic ballerinas, but it is so pretty!  You can see Kimberly's photos here and here.

Inside the box were lots of goodies - vintage lace on old clothespins, tiny vintage millinary flowers, a doily, a little jello mold, a doll head and arms, and lots more.  I love it all!  Thank you so much, Kimberly!
This was my first faux cake and it turned out a bit more Victorian-looking than I intended but I was happy with it overall.  I covered a round box with lace from a vintage table runner, then added a row of pleated trim from a 1940s lampshade.  For the top I added a couple of extra embellishments to a Jolie's Boutique flower. It's all bit more "dirty" and not quite as white as it looks in the photos.

I filled it with a doily, lace on tags, Scrabble tiles (great minds think alike, right?), a little tin full of buckles, buttons, and other little goodies.  I also made a tag using a Character Constructions stamp, a bit of vintage velvet ribbon, and a piece of my favorite vintage lace.  The last thing I added was a flower made using Rebecca Sower's tutorial from Etsy.
 This was one of my favorite swaps, both for the fun of making the cake and for what I received.  I'm doing Creative Wings Boutique's Prize Ribbon Swap next and will have photos to show later in the month.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Terri,
    Thank you again for the beautiful swap. I have been using all of those gorgeous embellishments in my latest creations, and the cake brings a smile every time I see it.
    enJOY a lovely week,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. your cake was wonderfully AMAZING Terri...how did i miss this post ...good thing im reading your entire blog to know for sure u will luv ur prize ribbon . i would luv you to play along for the halloween one...
    i saw ur post about visiting family in san angelo and thought OMG i was stationed there... big hugs
    tabitha

    ReplyDelete